Photo by the author
Knowing you can reach farther, requires higher expectations. Those with mediocre aspirations, never really find out how far they can succeed. Being scripted to expect less, gets less. Early experiences, negative messages, and unhealthy relationships can all contribute to thinking that you deserve less, which means that you pursue less.
Having higher expectations imply that you believe you deserve more. Believing you are worth more, opens up your awareness of more opportunity, and the desire and willingness to reach farther.
Believing you are worth more, opens up your awareness of more opportunity, and the desire and willingness to reach farther.
Developing your way to reach farther – The basic building blocks:
- Examine the scripts (beliefs and values) that you experienced through your life. Do those scripts have a tendency to expand or limit what you are, and what you have become up to this point? Were they negative, or did they empower you to become more than you thought you could do?
- Awareness: Are you aware of your capacities? Knowing as much as you can about you, precedes your next steps to take next steps. Those that do not know themselves, lack the ability to know how far they can go.
- Skill: Any prerequisite in knowing what path to take, will be influenced by existing skill.
- Determination: Having a ‘stubborn determination’ means you have the resiliency and the courage to take the next steps, going farther and higher than you have before.
Those that do not know themselves, lack the ability to know how far they can go
Knowing you deserve better – is a script for success. When you know you deserve more, can do more, or want to do more, you are positioned to find out how far you can go.
Taking Action: If you want more, then you know you will have to stretch. Personal leadership requires the willingness to –
- Fail – knowing that there is a risk for failure.
- Taking incremental steps – Doing something more, creates momentum toward larger things.
- Keeping at it: Change and growth is not an overnight process. Keeping the momentum and action going – will make your reach potentially more possible.
Doing something more, creates momentum toward larger things.