A friend once said to me: “As things change, sometimes people move toward you, and sometimes they move away from you.”
As we develop, we form new interests. As we form new relationships, new and different patterns of life take hold. Some good, and some create a distraction. Over time some relationships shift, and we find find ourselves moved away from the aspects that brought us confidence in ourselves.
Making an exercise in the rediscovery of our roots, can be a powerful direction that brings us back to more effectiveness, renews our sense of well being, and helps us cope better with life challenges.
Here are some of the ways, connecting with our roots can make a difference in our lives:
- We connect with important past relationships that were positive and played a part in our development. Often times the busyness of life takes us away from people that contributed a lot to who we are today.
- It helps us reconnect with things that worked for us in the past.
- We find new energy from things that brought richness in our past.
- We can solve current difficulties using “tried and true” approaches, that we have abandoned at some point.
Ways to connect with our roots:
- Call up a friend or associate you haven’t seen or talked to for some time. You might be surprised how good it makes you feel.
- Engage a rewarding hobby that enriched your life in the past.
- Remember how you solved problems before. Use those techniques again.
- Write and reflect on your problems. Remember what really helped you get through.
The Rewards are there…Rediscover something that you “moved away from.” Locate what meant a lot to you in the past and reengage it. Reexperience some of the joys it brought you, and learn to cope with existing problems, using things that worked in the past.